Friday, 20 July 2018
Under the dynamic leadership of our Principal, Dr. Sr. Jasintha Quadras, Language Partnership Programme was launched with the collaboration of Stella Maris College, Chennai. Dr. Thilagavathi Joseph trained the faculty and students in conducting this programme. 150 slow learners were identified and 60 volunteers were chosen to help out the slow learners.
Language Lab Exam
Motivational Talk by Mr. Chetan Bhagat, the Novelist (11.02.2019)
With an objective to hone the English speaking and writing skills of schools and colleges in the state, a city-based startup, Nista National launched ‘eduinfotainment’ venture started by the Chairman and Managing Director of the firm, Mr. Sundara Chaitanya Anagani. The noted screen writer and the motivational speaker Mr. Chetan Bhagat, who is one among the 100 influential people, gave a motivational talk on “Life: Success and Happiness”. Twenty Literature students of Maris Stella along with Dr. Sr. Innyasamma, Mrs. Swarupa and Ms. Manorama from the department of English attended it on 11.02.2019.
The students learnt from the talk that One has to fight the hardest battle, and never stop fighting until one arrives at his/her destined place, that is, a UNIQUE YOU! Being unique will require excellence. Excellence is a self-imposed self-directed life-long process.
Excellence is not by accident. It is a process, where an individual continuously strives to better oneself. The performance standards are set by themselves, they work on their dreams with focus and are prepared to take calculated risks and do not get deterred by failures as they move towards their dreams. Then they step up their dreams as they tend to reach the original targets. They strive to work to their potential, in the process, they increase their performance thereby multiplying further their potential and this is an unending life cycle phenomenon. They are not in competition with anyone else, but themselves. That is the culture of excellence.
Students ought to think and think well. They should do no wrong. Students should do everything to build-up a new state of India which would be everybody’s pride.
A Guest Lecture by Prof. M. Suresh Kumar (12.02.2019)
A guest lecture on “Language of Translations and Language of Life” by Prof. M. Suresh Kumar, Dept. of English, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur was organized by the dept. of English for 60 Literature students of UG and PG on 12.02.2019.
The students learnt from this lecture that “Translation’ is nothing but a skill. One needs to have innate ability to write a poem where as one needs to have a skill to translate any work. One needs to have an aptitude to bring in and bring across the translations and communicate them according to the context. The translator needs to know the theory before translating any text in order to do justice to the author.
Dr. K. Sandhya, Director, Research Cell, Mrs. Begum and Mrs. Indira Priyadarshini from the Dept. of English, PG along with Dr. Satya Sudha, HoD, Dr. Sr. Innyasamma, Mrs. Supriya, Mrs. Swarupa, Ms. Manorama and Mrs. Vani from the Dept. of English UG attended it.
LIGHTING OF THE LAMP:SPARKLIT 2K18 ON 4TH SEPTEMBER 2018
WORKSHOP ON COMMUNICATION & SOFT SKILLS
Ms. SWETHA RAO MBA, MA Psychology
A BRIDGE COURSE FOR I DEGREE STUDENTS WAS CONDUCTED ON 27th June.
BOOK RELEASE - SEMINAR PROCEEDINGS World Literatures in English Translations
CULTURAL WEEK 2017-18: ENGLISH DRAMA COMPETITIONS
VISIT BY STELLA MARIS TEAM TO MARIS STELLA
The Dept organised a one day workshop on "Presentation Skills for Employment" for PG & UG students on 6th Sep 2017. The Resource person was Dr. Kanchana Sundaram, Asst. Prof VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering & Technology
Dr. K. Sandhya, Reader, Former HOD, being felicitated on the College Day
Dr. K. Sandhya, Reader, Former HOD, being felicitated on the College Day
- Dr.K. Sandhya giving Orientation to parents of Freshers. June 20th, 2016.
- Retirement of Dr. Girija Nambiar. June 30th, 2016.
- Dr. Afsha Jamal Dept. of English, Prince Sattam Bin Abdul Aziz University, Saudi Arabia conducting a Workshop on Reading Strategies on 26.7.16
- Dr. Afsha Jamal conducting a Workshop on Writing Strategies on 27.7.16
- Silver Jubilee of Dr. V. Satya Sudha. Sep 5th, 2016
- Second Component Skit by students
SPARKLIT2K17 on 17/1/17
- National Seminar on "World Literatures in English Translation" on 18th Jan 2017
- Project Viva 18/12/16
- Pride and Prejudice adapted and performed on the College Day 4/2/17
- Members at the National Women's Parliament held at Pavitra Sangamam on 10th,11th &12th Feb 2017
- Dr. K. Sandhya conducting Group Discussion at NWP.
SPARK LITERARY CLUB ACTIVITY
- A COMPETITION IN NARRATION
26.08.2015 The Department of English held an inter class competition in Narration: Points to ponder on 26th august, 15 from 2p.m – 3.45p.m in the audio visual room. The participants had to choose an anecdote/ incident which had something to ponder over and had to narrate it within two minutes. The forty five participants were grouped in to intermediate and U.G + P.G. First, second and third prizes were awarded separately for the two categories. The two judges, Mrs. Marjorie Ebenezer and Mrs. K. R. Bhagyamani were former heads of the department. Ms. Ebenezer, in her closing remarks was very appreciative of the narrative skills of some of the participants and the determination and spirit shown by a few participants with speech impairment and language problems. She also landed the novel idea for the competition.
- INVITED LECTURE BY PROF.STEPHEN WARREN
19.12.2015 The Department organized a guest lecture on “Native Tradition and Land” from 9.45a.m -11.15 a.m in the A.V room. The speaker was Prof. Stephen Warren from the Dept. American Studies and History , University of Sowa, U.S.A. As an author of books on the Shownees Tribe of the U.S and as a researcher with considerable experience of working with natives in reservations, Prof. Warren Delivered an informative lecture on the impact of colonization on the natives, the violence and discrimination they were subjected to, their current status and the U.S govt. policies towards them. The lecture gave a deep insight in to the context of several texts prescribed for study in the U.G and P.G syllabi. II & III year U.G students of literature and I & II year P.G (Literature) attended the session. The lecture was followed by an interactive session where the students and faculty posed several questions on the subject.
- 3/6/2014 – 5/6/2014 - Orientation programme conducted by the IQAC & THE DEPT of English to Staff below five years of service.
- · MOCK PARLIAMENT conducted by the Department on 25/7/2014, CHIEF GUEST – Chennupati Vidya – former MP.
- Students performing skits as part of Spark Literary Club activity.
Friday, 18 August 2017
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- U.G and PG departments of English conducted two Guest Lectures for UG final year and PG I and II year students on ‘New Literatures’ and ‘Research Methodology’ on 19th of July 2013. The resource persons were Dr. C. Sarada and Dr.ParimalaKulkarni, Assistant Professors of English, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- A Guest Lecture on ‘Indian texts in English Translations’ by Prof. Rajeshwar, was conducted for I & II year MA English students on 27-1-2014.
- · The Department of English organized a Workshop on Oral Fluency Development and Contractions, Pauses and Sense Groups for the students of MA English, BA Literature and Tourism and Travel Management and Intermediate Special English on 27th January,2014 in the college auditorium. The Resource Person was Dr. M.Rajeshwar, Professor of English ,Kakatiya University, Warangal.
- · English elocution competition – 28-1-2014
- English essay writing competition – 27-1-2014· English drama competitions – 29-1-2014